After volunteering at a local Code Club, run at a primary school for the past couple of years I have tried to describe what code is and how to solve problems, create games and animation with it in the most relevant way possible to the kids.
One of the ways they seem to understand it is that code is just instructions or orders you are giving the computer. For example:
- If this is an Apple, do this.
- Else if it is a banana, do this.
- If it isn’t either then, do this
- Put this in a bucket till i need it
- Let’s look at these things one at a time
- Keep doing this till i say stop
- When this equal this, stop
- You know that bucket, find me all the apples in it
Sometimes the best way is to keep it simple and relate able.